Thanks
Admin virtual position

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Virtual Position Forum
Please register to watch content in detail
Thanks
Admin virtual position
Virtual Position Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Malik, Kaneria appear in career revival bid

View previous topic View next topic Go down

GMT + 3 Hours Malik, Kaneria appear in career revival bid

Post by Maryam Mirza Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:36 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

LAHORE: Former Pakistan captain Shoaib Malik and discarded leg-spinner Danish Kaneria appeared before a former judge Monday in a last-ditch effort to revive their international careers.

Malik, 29, and Kaneria 30, have not been cleared for selection since last year, reportedly failing to convince an integrity committee that they were not involved in alleged fixing cases.

Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) chairman Ijaz Butt accused Malik and Kaneria last month of not telling the truth to the committee, headed by former supreme court judge Jamshed Ali Shah.

Kaneria was arrested by British police last year over allegations of spot-fixing when his county, Essex, played against Durham in 2009, but he was released without charge.

His colleague Mervyn Westfield, however, was charged and faces criminal proceedings.

Kaneria has sought legal action over his non-clearance with the court due to reconvene on Thursday.

PCB spokesman Nadeem Sarwar said both players appeared before the committee but that a decision is pending.

"Both Malik and Kaneria appeared before the committee but the committee has taken no decision," Sawrar told AFP.

Malik said he did everything he could.

"I have given to the committee whatever I was asked to submit and it's up to them to clear me," Malik told reporters. He has reportedly failed to justify 90,000 pounds sterling in his bank account.

"If I am included in the team, then I am sure I will give a good performance as I believe I have a lot to offer to Pakistan cricket," said Malik, who was included in the tour to Zimbabwe subject to clearance.

Pakistan plays one Test, three one-day internationals, two Twenty20 matches and a practice match on their tour of Zimbabwe starting later this month.

Malik was appointed captain after Pakistan's first-round exit from the 2007 World Cup in the West Indies, but was dumped in January 2009 after losing a one-day series against Sri Lanka.

He has not played for Pakistan since last year's tour of England.

There was no immediate comment from Kaneria.

The International Cricket Council forced the PCB to form an integrity committee after a spot-fixing scandal in England last year resulted in lengthy bans for Salman Butt, Mohammad Asif and Mohammad Aamer.
Maryam Mirza
Maryam Mirza
Monstars
Monstars

Libra Goat

Character sheet
Experience:
Malik, Kaneria appear in career revival bid Left_bar_bleue500/500Malik, Kaneria appear in career revival bid Empty_bar_bleue  (500/500)

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top