Thanks
Admin virtual position

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Virtual Position Forum
Please register to watch content in detail
Thanks
Admin virtual position
Virtual Position Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cricket World Cup: Kotla faces tough World Cup test

View previous topic View next topic Go down

GMT + 3 Hours Cricket World Cup: Kotla faces tough World Cup test

Post by Admin Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:24 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

NEW DELHI: New Delhi's historic Feroz Shah Kotla ground will come under scrutiny on Thursday when it hosts a high-profile World Cup match between South Africa and the West Indies after an international ban.

The ground was banned from hosting international matches in December 2009 when a one day international between India and Sri Lanka was abandoned after just 23.3 overs due to the "dangerous" nature of the playing surface.

It has hosted Indian Premier League matches since but with no World Cup warm-up game at the stadium, it is unclear how the pitch will behave.

Star South African all-rounder Jacques Kallis said he was not losing sleep over the track for their opening Group B encounter at the stadium, named after the 14th-century Mughal emperor of Delhi, Feroz Shah Tughlaq.

"I haven't had a look at the wicket. I have seen it during the IPL and it wasn't too bad.

"Probably it's not going to be a 300-350 wicket. We do have the balance in the team that can play on any type of wicket."

Local cricket officials appeared determined to avoid a repeat of the 2009 embarrassment and have been going the extra mile to ensure the track comes up to scratch.

"I am not overly concerned but I will be able to sleep peacefully only after Thursday," said Delhi and District Cricket Association vice-president Chetan Chauhan.

"We did not lose (out) much on cricket, but the stigma of having been banned was tough to come to terms with. We have worked hard on the wicket and I am sure we will pull it off without any glitches," added the former India Test opener.

International Cricket Council pitch consultant Andy Atkinson has also been in New Delhi since last Friday.

"Yeah, the pitch preparation is my responsibility," Atkinson told the Mail Today newspaper.

"I am sure it will behave well this time. I am here till February 28 to see the second match (between the West Indies and Holland) through."

Atkinson's efforts took a slight knock with unseasonal rains in New Delhi but he is pleased to see the sun shining again.

"The sun is out but it's like lacking the warmth. I wish it shines brightly because it is winter and the grass doesn't grow here in winter." (AFP)
Admin
Admin
Y-Nots!
Y-Nots!

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top