Tonight's Dinner

View previous topic View next topic Go down

GMT - 6 Hours Tonight's Dinner

Post by Khan on Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:05 pm

Hi All,
Found this recipe at the Joy of Kosher website looking for recipes that use Temerhindy or Temerhindi sauce(impulse buy). I left out the rice(we don't eat it) and doubled the meat and the rest of the ingredients except the salt and the dried apricots. Loved the smell of the allspice and cinnamon while it cooked, and it tastes delicious. The only question I had with this is what to do with the cored out squash. I was going to add to the pot but changed my mind thinking it would become too watery so I discarded it. Glad I did the stuffed squash makes enough liquid on it's own along with the other ingredients. I also left out the sugar, next time may add a little honey. Here's the recipe.

Mehshi Kusa (Squash Stuffed with Ground Meat and Rice)
8 medium yellow or green squash. I used 4 large zucchinis, that's what they had at ShopRite. I cut it into 3" pieces and removed the middles.
14 dried apricots
4 Tbsps oil
1 tsp salt
4 Tbsps lemon juice
6 Tbsps Temerhindy/ Temerhindi
2 Tbsps sugar, optional. I didn't use it

Hashu (Stuffing): 2 lbs ground beef, I used 95% lean
2 tsp allspice
2 Tbsps oil
2 Tbsps cinnamon 
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp white pepper 
Prepare the Hashu: combine the Hashu ingredients, mixing well to evenly distribute the spices.
Loosely stuff the squash with the Hashu and set aside.
Pour the oil into a large pot. Place in the stuffed squash and layer half the apricot on top. Place pot over medium heat for about 5 minutes or until the squash begins to release some liquid. 
Add remaining apricots and sprinkle on the salt. Directly onto apricot layer add lemon juice, Temerhindy, and if using the sugar, then pour over 1 cup water. Place a saucer on top of the squash as a weight if necessary. Bring to a boil, lower to a simmer; cover and cook gently for 1 hour or until meat is cooked through and squash is tender. Enjoy and Happy Sukkot. 
Sent from my iPad

Khan
A-Group
A-Group

Sagittarius Pig
--Mood-- : Happy

Back to top Go down

GMT - 6 Hours Re: Tonight's Dinner

Post by Bao on Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:21 pm

Party Party Party Party

Bao
A-Group