Thanks
Admin virtual position

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Virtual Position Forum
Please register to watch content in detail
Thanks
Admin virtual position
Virtual Position Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cricket World Cup 2011 News

View previous topic View next topic Go down

GMT + 3 Hours Cricket World Cup 2011 News

Post by Asad Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:04 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Australia's injury worries have worsened with Doug Bollinger to be sent home from the World Cup due to an ankle injury that may require surgery. The Australians came to India already missing Michael Hussey, Nathan Hauritz, Ryan Harris, Clint McKay, Xavier Doherty and Shaun Marsh due to injuries, but Bollinger is the first member of the squad to be flown home mid-tournament.

Bollinger suffered pain in his left ankle during the first warm-up game against India and although the soreness eased and he was available for Monday's match against Zimbabwe, the problem intensified when the team arrived in Nagpur. Peter Siddle would be the logical replacement for Bollinger, but the selectors have not yet decided on who should join the squad.

The ICC has also confirmed that withdrawn players can return to replace other injured men, meaning the door has been opened for Michael Hussey to make a potential dash to the World Cup. However, the Australians would most likely prefer a backup fast bowler to replace Bollinger, with John Hastings the only reserve seamer in the touring party.

"He's got a thing called posterior impingement," Australia's physio Alex Kountouris said. "Basically, the bones at the back of the ankle, when he lands to bowl, one bone hits another bone and the bone becomes really inflamed and irritated. It irritates all the soft tissue around it as well. It's fairly common in fast bowlers.

"Brett Lee has had five or six lots of surgery on that in the past. It's reasonably common but he [Doug] has never had it before, so we thought we'd push it for as long as we could go, and he just can't go any further at the moment. We need to take him out of cricket for a while, whether he needs just rest or needs other treatment, maybe even surgery, that will be decided in the next few days."

Bollinger will have scans in Australia to determine whether he will need an operation and if that is required, he will have several months to recover before Australia's next Test tour, to Sri Lanka in August. The problem first appeared towards the end of the recent one-day series against England, but the pain did not become significant until the team was preparing for the match against New Zealand.

"It was only when he bowled yesterday here it became really sore again," Kountouris said. "He tried bowling again today and he was really sore today, so based on that, based on the sort of injury it is we're going to send him back to Australia and look at what our options are for treatment."

Shaun Tait, Brett Lee and Mitchell Johnson, again proved themselves a formidable trio by dismissing New Zealand for 206 on Friday. The selectors will decide which player will join them over the next few days.
Asad
Asad
Deep Bench
Deep Bench

Creative

Back to top Go down

GMT + 3 Hours Re: Cricket World Cup 2011 News

Post by Asad Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:05 pm

Dwayne Bravo ruled out for four weeks
West Indies' chances at the World Cup have been dealt a huge blow as their allrounder Dwayne Bravo has been ruled out for four weeks due to a knee injury he picked up in the match against South Africa on Thursday. The development was communicated to ESPNcricinfo by West Indies media manager Philip Spooner. The injury means Bravo is unlikely to take part in the league phase of the tournament.

Bravo sustained the injury while bowling during West Indies' game against South Africa. He was led off the field, and took no further part in that match. It is the third West Indian player injured in a week, with opener Adrian Barath and wicketkeeper Carlton Baugh also forced to fly home.
Asad
Asad
Deep Bench
Deep Bench

Creative

Back to top Go down

Post by Asad Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:06 pm

Pakistan batting Tournament averages
Asad
Asad
Deep Bench
Deep Bench

Creative

Back to top Go down

Post by Asad Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:07 pm

First bowler in World Cup history to take two hat-tricks
Sri Lanka fast bowler, Lasith Malinga, who became the first bowler in World Cup history to take two hat-tricks, has said that he learnt to bowl his deadly yorkers by watching Pakistan's legendary pair of Wasim Akram and Waqar Younis. Malinga ran through the hapless Kenya batting to take a career best 6 for 38 runs, and pick up the Man-of-the-Match award, as the opposition crumbled under his assault for a mere 142 runs.

"This is a slow pitch and bouncers will not work so I decided to go for yorkers," Malinga said. "I didn't have any idea of how to bowl a yorker when I first came into the national team but I was taught how to bowl them by Champaka Ramanayake and Rumesh Ratnayake (two former Sri Lanka fast bowlers).

"I also watched Wasim Akram and Waqar Younis bowl and I learnt a lot from them."

Malinga missed his side's opening two matches with a sore back, but came back strongly to take the wickets of Tanmay Mishra, Peter Ongondo and Shem Ngoche with successive, full, swinging deliveries, with the latter two having their stumps rearranged. His hat-trick was spread over two overs - the last ball of his seventh and the first two balls of his eighth. In all, four of his six victims were bowled and the two others were trapped lbw.

In the 2007 World Cup, Malinga grabbed the headlines with four in a row against South Africa at Guyana. "I rate the performance in South Africa with four wickets in four balls as the best. But I am happy that I got six wickets today which was my career best."

Malinga stated that he could have played in the second match against Pakistan but did not on the advice of the team physio, Tommy Simsek. "I was sad and also lazy when I was not playing the first two matches. I didn't play because I was not fully recovered."

He said that he was happy to perform the way he did in front of the Sri Lankan public. "I didn't have much hopes to play for a long time when I was coming to cricket. My only aim was to contribute as much as I can to the team whenever I play for them. I will give my 100 percent in whatever the game I participate. That makes me happy.

"I have played for the national team for the past seven years. A lot of people have said that I would not be able to play for a long time (due to injury concerns). But I am happy to have played for the last seven years."

Contemplating his future the 27-year-old fast bowler said, "I don't know how long I could play, but I am happy to contribute to the team whenever I play. I believe I can still play Test cricket after considering my injury concerns. When I feel that I can't do anything for the team, I will happily retire."
Asad
Asad
Deep Bench
Deep Bench

Creative

Back to top Go down

Post by Asad Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:07 pm

Asad
Asad
Deep Bench