German Red Cabbage

View previous topic View next topic Go down

GMT - 6 Hours German Red Cabbage

Post by Khan on Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:03 pm

I finally made sauerbraten after many years of not doing so. Growing up, my mom, who got a wonderful recipe from a German neighbor (who made their own sauerkraut in a barrel in their basement) made it a couple of times in Fall and Winter when I was younger. 

Last weekend, I re-upped our Costco membership to get new glasses and we did a bit of shopping. I saw lovely chuck roasts (mom used 'em and bottom round is great, too) and bought two for total of 7.5 lbs of meat. Initially, I was thinking one for sauerbraten and one for an Italian style roast but then decided to make more sauerbraten and freeze some if necessary. 

I could not find the red cabbage recipe we used but I recalled it had vinegar, brown sugar, some nutmeg....so I went browsing the internet recipe sites and came up with a mash-up from all the different recipes...and it is really good:

German Red Cabbage

Kathleen Simons (inspired by a bunch of online recipes); 10/20/2016

Makes 12-16 nice servings, can make half~

Equipment: Need at least 4-quart Dutch oven of stock- or sauce-pan with a lid that fits well.

Ingredients:
Large head red cabbage, cut in quarters, core part cut out of each, then sliced in thin strips
1 large onion, white or yellow, chopped
1 large apple, peeled and chopped (I used a honeycrisp as was on hand)
6 tbsp butter
1 quarter cup apple cider vinegar
¼ cup good balsamic vinegar (I used Colavita Modena)
¼ cup red wine (I used Frey organic Natural Red)
1/2 cup light brown sugar (have more available when you taste test)
¼ cup lingonberry, currant, or tart cherry preserves, if available (I used ligonberry  I keep on hand)
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg,
½ tsp grated fresh ginger or ¾ tsp or so powdered ginger
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp white or black pepper

Directions:
Melt butter in stockpot (I used a Calphalon 4 quart one) on medium-low heat.
Sauté the onion a few minutes until softened (about 3-5 minutes, try not to brown them).
Add the chopped apple and let it soften a couple of minutes.
Add everything else except the cabbage. Stir all together until sugars and preserves blend in well.
Add the cabbage in big handfuls, stirring to combine with each addition.
Cover, reduce heat to low, and allow to just simmer for about 45 minutes. I stirred the contents about every 10 minutes.  

I tasted it a few times as it cooked to soften a bit; I ended up adding just a wee bit more cider vinegar, Balsamic vinegar, and brown sugar and touch more nutmeg and ginger…but we like stronger flavors…start with recipe and decide if you want stronger…

=====
Kathleen Bowen Simons
Lorton, Virginia

Do not mock a pain you haven't endured 

Khan
A-Group
A-Group

Sagittarius Pig
--Mood-- : Happy

Back to top Go down

GMT - 6 Hours Re: German Red Cabbage

Post by Bao on Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:20 pm